Sunday, September 26, 2010

The wall story - continued

In an attempt to redeem myself from that last post, that was very quickly added to my blog, I'll try to explain it a bit better. THIS is the wall that woke my husband up at 3:00 a.m. It is the walk-out wall of our basement. There will be doors and windows on it.
If you look closely, you can see pvc pipes everywhere. My husband is putting all of the plumbing in the floor of the basement before they pour tomorrow. He's worked hard every day since Thursday on this.
Back to the wall. It looks higher than it is. That is the framing, but the actual wall is not that high. We thought there should have been a cutout for the door.

So, on a full moon morning at 5:00 a.m.

we were out there traipsing around in the mud, as it rained the day before.
We discovered that the frame was not completely full,
and the framer will build the rest of the wall up later. Just as it should be. PHEW!

Did I mention when I was driving out there in the pitch dark, there was an opossum playing dead in the road. I tried to straddle it with my tires and it decided too late to get up. I yelled NOOOO NOOOO NOOOO, then I felt the dreaded thump thump.....AAAUUGGHHHH
My day was not going well...actually, my week was not going well. Especially since I missed the wall pouring cement trucks on Monday. I decided to pay my parents a visit, with breakfast, at 6:15 a.m.
What the heck, I'd been up for three hours already! I got 'the look' from my Dad. He'll never get it right though. It's nothing like getting 'the look' from Mom.
Mom and Dad enjoying? breakfast


This is the wall after the frames came off. They are moving dirt up to it so it will be somewhat even. The basement floor will come up four inches when they pour it. Right now it's gravel.

Anyway, this part is a bit boring to me, but it's all part of building a house. We are learning a lot. One thing....it's is life-consuming.

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment