Friday, August 9, 2019

A New Beginning or Pouring out my heart about building your own house!

Yes it's me, posting again.  

Last weekend, while Dave and I were visiting southern Indiana for a little mini-get away, I brought up the very first post on this house blog, and read it to him. 
Then I read a couple more posts. 
As the saying goes, we've come a long way baby!  
And we actually enjoyed reading the posts!  

When looking back, I can't even believe we built this house.  Except for the fact that I still remember starting to resent the time it was taking.  Honestly, it was not how I wanted to spend my life.  And that's how I was beginning to feel. In the beginning it seemed like a grand idea.

  • You save A LOT OF MONEY doing things yourself. 
  • You spend  A LOT OF TIME doing things yourself!  

I kept thinking... praying... begging... for time to slow down.  I was almost feeling panicky (is that a word?) about it.  I was beginning to feel that my 50's were being wasted on painting trim, walls, doors, etc.  Not to mention insulating, helping lay floor, helping re-do rafters, sub-flooring, helping run wire, climbing into the attic, screwing bolts into trusses, helping with all kinds of construction. 
I get construction!  
I know how to use power tools! 
House plans make sense to me now!  sometimes...

I remember saying, "I JUST WANT TO BE A GIRL!"

And here are two very true and important things I can tell you about construction. 
  • It WILL go over the time deadline.
  • It WILL go over budget!
We broke ground in September of 2010.  We were the general contractors. 
By the time the contractors finished with pouring the basement, which was supposed to begin in July, and the framers finished framing, it was November.  And snow came the day after the roof was laid!  And it didn't stop snowing all winter.  So basically, we didn't start work again until the following Spring.  Behind already!

Back in the day, when I was writing this blog, trying to record progress, life was so CRAZY busy, it became one more chore to do in a long list of chores. When you build a house....build your own house....life goes on.  Celebrations happen.  Birthdays, Holidays, bridal showers, baby showers, bachelorette parties!, weddings, caregiving (I didn't realize I was a caregiver until it ended) funerals, entertaining, sickness, surgeries, etc.  We had it all!

I NEEDED A BREAK!  
WE NEEDED A BREAK!
We actually finished the upstairs in April of 2018. 
And we didn't move a stitch of furniture up there until several months later! 
We were DONE!  

Fast forward to now!  2019  
I LOVE THIS PLACE! 
I love living in a house that I LOVE!  
Dave is very creative and making all kinds of fun changes, that has increased my love for this place!  
And I want to share them with you.
When I look around I see a lot of things I want to share. 
I want to continue to record this journey.
So I am.

I have also started an Instagram account for the house. 
thehouseonhilltopfarm
And for those that do not have IG, I plan to record the same thing here, as long as my computer holds out.  I'm still as tech savvy as I've always been, which is not at all!  I'll stumble through.

But right now, I see some hydrangeas that I best get out and cut before they fade totally away, and I don't have any dried for fall arrangements!

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment