Monday, January 11, 2016

The Den (Parlour)

This, is the view from our bedroom window.  All of this hard work is starting to pay off!
 And when you walk through our bedroom door it leads into the den, which I have decided just today that I'm going to call a parlour!  I looked it up and a parlour is a room in a private house where people can sit and talk and relax.  So parlour it is....Are you ready to tour the parlour?
 
 Come along...
WHAT in theeeee.......
 Dave is painting the wall black!

 And here is why.....
 Ok....let's start this tour again.....
 
 Hold on...I'll clean the plastic covered painted windows first 
(which took an entire evening as I listened to a book on cd)  
Now, come on in...
 (and this door is in our living/dining room which we are calling the great banquet hall)

 
and here is the parlour!
TAA DAH!
Dave bought the fireplace mantle from Craigs list.  He bought it without me even being with him!  And when I first looked at it, I couldn't stop staring, and touching, and wondering who touched it, and stared at it, and used it before me.  If only it could talk!  It came from an old Victorian home.   I wonder what room it was in, in that home.

 Isn't it stunning....

 It is carved...

Here are the other walls....a couple of chairs....
and that rocker on the right is not "Just a rocker"
I'll explain another time....
 And here is the door we entered through.
 This is the last wall....which I love as much as the fireplace wall.
 I love the shutters that look like an old southern home.
I love the full view door that looks out over this....
 porch.
And I love the porch.
 with this view.  
So far, the parlour is one of my favorite rooms.
 Cindy

PS....
I'm thinking about this for the kitchen floor.  It's luxury vinyl tile, which looks like an old wooden floor.

 This is the edge of my sink, and the floor. 

what do you think?



6 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy. Love your new parlour! We've just had that type of vinyl tile that looks like wood flooring laid in our place and so far it's working out well. Ours has a really dark stain which I'm not such a fan of (you see all the dust) but it's better than what we had before and it was the only option our landlord would consider. You really are making fantastic progress - can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona,
      It's good to know your floor is working out well. I still haven't ordered mine! I will...it only takes a week to come in. I would not like a darker floor for the exact reason you mention. People tend to think darker floors show less dirt and such, but I find the opposite to be true. But hey, at least you don't have what I had when I was renting...I came home one day and found carpeting surrounding the trash area at the rental house I was living in, and I thought, oh someone got their old carpet ripped out! Nope, it was "new" that they installed in one of my rooms that I previously complained about. It was hideous. I'm sure it came out of someone else's house (such as the owners.) I never complained about anything to them again!

      Cindy

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful space your parlour is! Light, airy; but the fireplace surround grounds it perfectly... a lovely place to spend the evening chatting in front of the fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacqueline. That is exactly the feeling we wanted to convey.

      Cindy

      Delete
  3. Hi Cindy, first of all I am so excited for you . . . finally getting to move into your home. The two of you have been working on it for such a long time. "Time very well spent"
    Your parlor is lovely and how nice to have a room to just kick back in . . . I can see a lot of crocheting going on in there. The mantel is amazing . . . every woman that reads this is going to me thinking that they wish their husband would surprise them with a gift like that. The view off your beautiful porch is so tranquil and marvelous. Is that a lake or pond and do you skate on it in the winter? On to the kitchen . . . it looks like you have purchased one of those fabulous sinks with the built in drain board. I do remember the first apartment that I ever lived in, having one of those. It was in Logansport, Indiana. Well, I've rattled on, haven't I . . . I just love everything the two of you are doing. Welcome Home!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Connie, and yes it has been a long time. We are tired of working on it all the time, and having it hanging over our heads, so our plan is to be finished with the main level by the time summer hits.
    That is a pond and we do not skate on it because it does not completely freeze over. It only froze over good enough to walk on one year since we've owned it. We bought it in 2007. There is a creek that runs through it and it keeps the water moving, so it rarely freezes over.
    And oh my gosh when I read your comment!!! I know we have talked about you being from Indiana, but did we ever talk about Logansport? I could do a whole blog on that town. I was born there, moved when I was five, both of my parents were born there, and there were 7 siblings in each of my parents families!!! I spent my childhood in that town!!! We went there every weekend. E.V.E.R.Y. W.E.E.K.E.N.D!
    I wish I knew someone that wanted to revamp it. Oh I have dreams for that town........I could go on....

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete