Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Am I cut out for this country life?

Many of you have asked why we would want to move from the other house....thank you!  It means a lot that you like our other house.  We love it.  And we are hoping that whoever buys it will love it as much as we did.  Truth is, we never planned on moving.  We never really wanted to move from that house.  We just fell in love with some land in the country and couldn't keep up with the land in the country and the house in town.  Were we rich folk, we probably would have kept both and hired help.  But we're not rich.  Hence, we are building a house on our own (For the most part), on the land we fell in love with, and selling our house in town.  I just told someone the other day
Sometimes you gotta give up the life you have, to get the life you want.
And no, I didn't make that up myself.  I wish I did though!

And no, those are not my chickens.  I have a story coming here.  Peeps, I'm wondering if I'm cut out for country life.  Seriously. 
The other night I was on the phone with the realtor.  Dave starts yelling at me to "get out here....call the neighbors."  A huge German Shepherd ran their cat up a tree (it missed getting it by about six inches) and then started after their chickens.  I quickly got off the phone, called the neighbors who were on the other side of town, and we started chasing the German Shepherd away.  The dog actually had a chicken in it's mouth, but he dropped it when we yelled and started running after it.  Now peeps, I do not run. I have big boobs.  Big boobed women do not run well. 
 Then the dog went after another chicken.
 I took off running and yelling. 
 Lordy do you know how long it's been since I last ran...or yelled?  Me either.
There were a lot of feathers.  
There were still 11 chickens out there hiding in the woods.  
I scared the dog off!  He took off running through the field.
My Shug said, "man you can really yell!"
I was afraid for those chicks!
No one got hurt and when the neighbors came pulling in the driveway, the other chickens came out of the woods.  It was so cute
And later that evening, the neighbor  came over and thanked us with these lovely eggs as a gift!


 And I gotta tell ya, I don't know which blog to post to with stories like this.  The bee lady or the house blog.  
So, I have a HUGE pile of Kokomo bricks at the other house.  Several years ago, the city tore up the remaining brick streets in town, and they announced that anyone that wanted bricks to go get them.  We were going to build a huge patio out of them.  
We actually did build a patio, but never made it as big as we planned.  We do use the bricks for a lot of landscaping though.
  
So I am moving in the process of moving them from one house to the other.  
And a friend of mine asked me the other day if I wanted to join a gym with her.  I told her I have a way to exercise for free, and we'd be outside,  and she went for it!  (I will try to remember to get a pic of the pile this morning)  And we were so proud of ourselves for unloading this pile of bricks and stacking them so neatly.

 These pictures will mostly speak for themselves....


So, she was saying "pleh" and she explains...when they ask for help they say it backwards.  I don't know why it struck me so funny, but it did.  And I started laughing so hard that I almost wet my pants.   Just say it....Pleh.....Doesn't it sound pathetic?  You can't even yell it really.  It doesn't have the same oooomph that HELP! does.
 My friend trying to take pictures without the neighbor seeing her actually taking the pictures.
He said nary a word, by the way, when he pulled up with his tractor.  He just shook his head.







 What should have taken a couple of hours, took from 10:00 until 2:00ish.  
Then I decided since it was sunny out, for once, I would get into my beehives.  When I was by the garage, getting my bee gear, I heard the raccoon again.  So I sent my Shug a text.  "I hear coon in soffit"



















I gotta tell ya, my Shug was not in the best of moods when he came home from work.  Not to worry.  He did not fire that gun.  Instead of sitting there waiting, he went to the neighbors house to return his ball and hitch from the back of the truck (that they put on to pull me out of the mud) and they gave him a much needed beer.  He returned in a good mood.  Apparently, I was the talk of the neighborhood.  Everyone needs people to laugh with.










But...as I was unloading bee gear, I was thinking....if I were in town,
I'd be living in a house, not a room.
 I wouldn't be trying to get a MOTHER AND HER BABIES out of our soffitt.
 I wouldn't be stuck in the mud because I wouldn't be moving bricks.
I wouldn't be chasing chicks or dogs.

  I'd probably be relaxing, sitting, drinking this wine that I bought for the label.  I have no idea if it's any good. I was too tired last night to drink it.  I went to bed and slept through the entire night.


But I gotta ask...am I cut out for this country life?

Cindy

18 comments:

  1. Great post. Makes you wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll get used to it....in about 10yrs!
    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to read about, and see, your adventures! I am in love with pleh! You are right... it is very pitiful and wimpy!
    I understand your conflicted feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhhh yes....thanks for the chuckle. (with you, not at you....) mud, raccoons...good stuff ~ and HOURS of entertainment.
    I have a daily battle in my mind about having to give up the life we have/know, for the one we want... but then I wonder.... do I want it? Would it work? Would we be happy/happier? *sigh* seems this is a common question...I'm watching and taking notes!
    We've gotten our van stuck in the mud numerous times.... on one occasion, I finally called a tow truck to get us out ~ as the Hubby's mood was deteriorating fast. Two guys pulled up a truck, the older guy got out, looked at our Saint Bernards and said, "why didn't ya just have them pull you out?".... shook his head, towed us out and never uttered another word....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I'm curious as to the life you "want". You never know if you'll be happier until you try. I was in bed this morning thinking about by MIL. Every time...EVERY TIME...I go to visit her I get the same old gripey stories about the same people and the same situation. She is 90 and in an assisted living place. NOT a nursing home, which is where most people end up at 90. ANd she is not happy. This is the third, and final, one we have moved her to. We have finally decided it's her, not them. And I've decided, I'm not going to be like her, I'm going to be happy here!

      Cindy Bee

      Delete
  5. Cindy, When I lived in town, we bought a bunch of those kokomo bricks..made walkways and a patio...then when we moved, I thought it'll be hard to sell that house with those walkways and patio being of brick..so I had it done in cement and we hauled all those bricks out here. We made a patio here and trimmed all the flowerbeds with them. Now we are thinking of taking that patio and bringing the bricks around to the front around the porch steps. We have handled those bricks so many times, I know each one personally. :):)I feel your pain girl. I know I want to move back to town...if I ever do, those bricks are staying here. Oh by the way, Ted saw one at the treasure mart, they wanted 5 dollars for it...he said "OMG we are rich !" Cindy, if I lived near by, I would help you too.xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,
      I had to laugh at your story. What is it about these bricks?!?!! We also have a walkway from our driveway to our door out of them, and we lined several gardens with them. The walkway and patio are staying. I still have a lot of bricks. We've removed a lot of the garden edges though. My elbow is killing me today. I can't hardly move my arm! But you should see that nice stack of bricks. Taking a day off.

      Cindy Bee

      Delete
  6. Cindy, you were already living the country life in the city! You are more that cut out for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES you are and I can tell the neighbours already love you. You are going to do great just remember you slept through the night that is a great thing is it not?
    I am going to love reading these country blogs and you are going to settle in and make lifelong friends I know because if you remember I did the same thing and look at me now:) HUGS B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but how many years have you been living there!!! Ahhh it is great sleeping through the night.

      Delete
  8. What Buttons said; you'll not only get used to it, you'll flourish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh!!! You have to stop with the visuals my other half is tryin to sleep and seeing the visual of you runnin after that god, yellin like a fool and boobs bouncin around I can't stop laughing!!! I do hope all the chickens are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It makes me smile to read about your 'country adventures'. Also "Pleh" is exactly what my 2 year old says when he gets a hair in his mouth! too funny!

    I dream of country life!

    ReplyDelete