Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Kitchen Cabinets

I've been awake since 4:00 a.m!  And I even had a glass of wine before I went to bed in hopes of sleeping through the night.  It is now 6:30, and I don't know if I'll even bother going back to sleep.  Maybe a nap later.....

Today, sometime between 9:00 am and 1:00 pm, thousands of dollars worth of kitchen cabinets
 will be delivered to our house.  It's like being a child on Christmas morning.  I remember many mornings getting my parents up at 4:00 a.m!  I would NOT do that now!!!  I like to sleep.
 Dave and I are visual people.  I was thinking back on how hard it has been to make a final decision on the kitchen.  I have tons of pictures on my phone and computer.  I've looked at magazines, the HOUZZ app, gone to open houses and show homes and tours and etc. etc. 

We have held up tables to try to see what a cabinet would look like in a certain spot!

  I've folded magazines and inserted them into the plan that was on paper at the time.
 I've taken pictures with my I-phone and inserted it into the plan!

It's hard to order cabinets when this is all you have to look at.  This and a drawing on paper.
 Especially if you are not a kitchen designer.  I am not.  I think maybe I could be now!

Our last house was a 1940's house.  When we went to sell it the Realtor (who we should never have hired) kept commenting that the kitchen needed updated!  I was somewhat offended.  It had original oak hardwood floors, white WOOD - yes REAL wood - cabinets.  (from the 1940's)  It had a new refrigerator and stove which I loved.  You could use gas or electric in it.  It did have laminate counter tops, but I like laminate.  I grew up with laminate.  They don't chip or crack.  Dave came home last night and was telling me about a guy at work that is upset because his quartz countertop cracked right down the center in his NEW house.  I LIKE OLD!  I LOVE OLD!  Old lasts.  Most old things were made with pride.

So, it is hard to order new, when you love old.  My plan is to mix in some old....such as this old shop top Dave bought at a school auction for two bills!  If it works out how we plan it in our head, it will be my counter top on my island.  But that's down the road a few days.  For the next few days we will be working in the kitchen.  I....am....so....excited!
 I've rambled on enough.  I wonder if I could get a couple of hours of sleep before the cabinets arrive......we'll see....

Cindy

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you put in a lot of hard work and time into your kitchen cabinets. I’m glad that you were able to get the cabinets that you wanted. I agree that old cabinets look so good. Please be sure to take some picture of your new kitchen cabinets once you have them installed. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete