The House on Hilltop Farm BLOG is a record of the progress on a home we are building ourselves. We bought the land in 2007, and started building the house in 2010. We lived in one room, 550 square feet, in the basement while we built the house above us. We moved on the main level of the house in February 2016. We decided blogging is the best way to record our journey. I'm glad to have you join me.
next thing that took us quite a bit of time trying to figure out was
where could we put a wood burning stove. We visited a friend that has
one, and we loved it.
At first we thought we could build a wall in our "grand banquet
hall" and put it caty-cornered against the newly built wall. See the L
shape piece of wood above. That would be the wall. And we would have
had room behind it to hide some wood. Plus it hides the door. Once we
laid it out, I didn't like it at all.
didn't like that it was taking up an entire quarter of the room. I
wouldn't have room for a buffet and I would have very little wall space
left in that room. For such a big room it has very little wall space.
We even moved card tables around trying to figure out a furniture layout
to see if we could get it to work. Nope.
then we decided to put it in this corner of the room. Complete
opposite corner. We wouldn't be using that corner for anything anyway.
So it would be perfect IF we could put some of the chimney inside the
attic and have it exit the roof at the peak. No can do. The pitch of
the roof, hence the pitch of the attic, wasn't in alignment with the
ratio we could angle the chimney. Code is that the chimney has to go a couple of feet above the roofline.
So we would have about a 12 foot chimney sticking out of the front of
our house, with brackets holding it up, if we were to put the woodstove
in this corner. So, we had an expert come out. After spending an hour
with us he determined the best thing we can do is go back to a wood
burning furnace and put it in the garage, where the roof pitch is
perfect for a chimney. No stove for us. I'm over it because if you
look in the middle picture above the room next to the big room has a
fireplace in it. And I think that needs to be the focal point of both
So we got busy again. Insulating. The downstairs mudroom and bathroom is insulated.
And so is the attic. We started with this which was awkward because of the angles.
to self. Do not raise up. There are nails poking through the roof and
they will hurt your head. I have a hat on because it was cold.
all of the attic vents (blue things) were stapled, we set to insulating. There is very
little room in this area so Dave would cut and I would lay the
I had to walk (crawl) across these boards that he installed so we would be able to get to that section of the attic.
Then we both got to work on the bigger section of the attic and ta daaaah!
It's almost finished. We had about 50 rolls of insulation and ran out!
have been putting insulation down in one direction, then rolling it
across in another direction to create an R value of 50. The R value of
the insulation is 25. This house is on a hill and it's windy out here
so we have tried to insulate very well.
We had an extremely windy day yesterday, and there weren't any breezes coming in the house, so that's great!
This is the floor in the breezeway. It's just a room off of the garage that joins the garage to the house. I decided to try to stain it, with cement stain, like I did my garden girl statue.
It looks pretty good compared to a plain cement floor.
You can see a lot of the strokes from the cement. And we think they sealed it. Cement stain doesn't really work unless it has not been sealed.
Dave put a door up to the breezeway, which helps seal the house from the garage.
Time out for a little romance...
So, we were talking about how much the upstairs bathroom complicates things. He has told me that many times, but I never understood what he meant. Then he explained. All of the bathroom plumbing need to connect to each other. The basement bathroom and main level bathroom are aligned, but the upstairs bathroom is over our bedroom. So, the plumbing will need to slope enough to, "get a turd to the septic and not get stuck." I'm pretty sure he was saying that in laymans terms, but I got it. So I suggested we move the bathroom over to the attic and align it with the other bathrooms. Which he thought was brilliant....I tried to draw a diagram to help explain.
See where the top left of the diagram says attic...that's where we were going to move the bathroom. Then it would be directly over the bathroom on the main level. Then we were going to move the bathroom wall to the room that actually says Bathroom, and make it a bedroom, and make the front bedroom a sitting room. It all worked out....in theory.
Here is an old pic of our house....I couldn't find a new one. So what we are talking about is the right hand side of the upstairs.
So we got to work.
I helped pull wire.....
Dave was on the other side of the wall, on the main level, handing wire up to me and I was pulling it through those "wire boxes" (I don't know the correct term for them) and tightening them down.
Then we carried up the sub floor. Which was heavy.
And while he did some other work, I screwed down the sub floor.
And we both finished up
Then we brought the tub and toilet into the new bathroom area and guess what....we do not like it! There goes our theory!
It just doesn't look right and the attic walls slope so it doesn't give us as much room as we would have liked. So, we are back to the original design and guess what....there is going to be one big closet upstairs!!!