The House on Hilltop Farm BLOG is a record of the progress on a home we are building ourselves. We bought the land in 2007, and started building the house in 2010. We lived in one room, 550 square feet, in the basement while we built the house above us. We moved on the main level of the house in February 2016. We decided blogging is the best way to record our journey. I'm glad to have you join me.
Wednesday, July 27, 2016
Living/Dining Room TA DAH!
So...I didn't want to start on this room until after Easter. We had just finished the mudroom, and office area, and we were having Easter at our house. So, we waited until the first of April and got busy.
First we cleaned out the room really well.
And we decided to start with the ceiling. We had a hard time trying to decide how we were going to paint these tin ceiling pieces. I went to Sherwin Williams and they said I would need paint and primer. We would also need a spray gun. The other option was spray paint that had paint and primer in the same can, but what a mess. And how many cases of cans would we need? When I found out that I was going to have to buy a gallon and a half of both paint and primer, we decided to go with the spray. It would be cheaper. So Dave covered the windows in the upstairs bedroom, and he would spray about ten pieces a day. He had just enough room to lay out ten pieces to dry. So, we would also hang about ten pieces a day. I would hold them up while Dave nailed each piece in the ceiling. And this was the first few pieces we hung, and realized we didn't lay them out quite right on the ceiling, so we took them down and started over.
We also had a hard time deciding how to lay out the ceiling. There were so many fillers and trims and cornice and crown molding pieces to choose from. Every time we went into an old building we were looking to see if they had tin ceiling and how they did it. I was at a Downton Abbey party and I saw the ceiling trim and that was it! Simple
Boo Boo's happen!
So here's one TA DAH! The ceiling, which I think turned out great.
Now, during all of this ceiling hanging work, I was also painting lots and lots and lots of trim and wood pieces.
And this is just a small amount of the trim and pieces that I painted. If you know me personally, you know I was tired of painting these pieces of trim...every...single...night.
Next, we started on the floor. Every evening I would lay out several rows of floor while Dave was at work, then the next morning he would get up and nail those rows of flooring down.
Dixie had to check out the floor.
You can see in the below picture that we had to wear earplugs the whole time. The air compressor and nailing gun are loud.
almost finished....and you can see we put cardboard down to cover the freshly laid floor from paint because I....was....still....painting....trim....pieces........still......still.......still......
Floor finished! Need to put trim down and finish window and door trim.
TAA DAH!!!! Here it is peeps!!!!!
My favorite room!!!
I can't wait to show you the furniture lay out. It turned out great!